Thursday, May 6, 2010

Life is Funny...

I have been serious in nearly every one of these blogs, and as I realized this morning when I was getting my girls ready to go for "I'm a STAR day" at school to benefit Relay for Life, I am not generally this serious. I usually sit and tell funny stories, and they are often about myself. So, while I still remain passionate to being a conservative outspoken agvocate and advocate for health care, today I am going to be a bit silly on this blog.

Once upon a time, in a county not far from here, a city girl (me - see I grew up in the County with stop lights) started dating a farm boy from the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE (Brian - his county did not have stop lights, that's right - not one in the entire county). We met in college, sigh, fell in love, more sighs... and somewhere in this mix he decided it would be a good idea to take me deer hunting. ( See I said this would be funny...)

OK, its like 2:30 AM and its cold and dark... and we head out to go "hunting". First off, he wants me to walk through the cow poop and "cover my scent"... and I am starting to think he really did mean we are going to hunt an animal on this trip. So, now scent covered off we go down through the wood to the deer stand. Brian has a nice deer stand to hunt in, he built it himself, so at least I am sitting in a covered box in the edge of a field with a roof in the freezing cold instead of up in a tree. OK, now its dark and its cold, and wouldn't you know it... Brian is actually sitting there in the dark looking like he can see something. I start to talk and get shushed... this is really not turning into my morning. I am thinking I should have stayed in bed. OK... the sun starts to come up and we can see deer, and here comes the buck that my boyfriend has been after all season. He gets ready to shoot and motions at me to be quite... does his final sighting and... I scream out "RUN BAMBI".

If you have ever met a hunter you know that its lucky at this point that I got away without being shot (just kidding) but really Brian was very very upset at me and politely kicked me out of the deer stand and I had to walk back to his parent's house while he "finished hunting" aka calmed down. The sad thing is this, his buddy shot the buck (8-9 points by the way I think, maybe more you would have to ask Brian, I am sure he remembers) the next field over.

Now, you may think by this story that I oppose hunting, and I don't. I shoot with Brian all the time and some of our best dates involved shooting, I just could not stand the thought of seeing him shoot that deer, however he hunts regularly and we eat what he kills. I am proud of that fact, just like I am proud of how good a shot I am. However, If I go "hunting" with him now it involves a camera...

1 comment:

  1. I guess you see why she does not get invited to go hunting ( at least not in season anyway).

    ReplyDelete