Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Life from a Different Point of View

Hey there again -

I had a patient yesterday ask me if I had read a book - that in and of itself is not that unusual of an occurrence but I really felt an interest in this book. She was talking about Still Alice by Dr. Lisa Genova. Its a book about Alzheimer's Dementia from the point of view of the patient affected. This is a disease that I feel is often overlooked and then the patient themselves is often talked about as if they were not there. Its a hard place to be as a caregiver and a provider, you need to ask certain questions but its hard to talk about a person when they are sitting there.

Dr. Genova makes this a very really problem as you experience the disease from her point of view. In a little under two years, the patient went from being a Harvard professor to a totally dependant Dementia patient.

I have seen and help too many patients and families thru this and it was hard to read, especially as I lost my Grandmother to traumatic Dementia a few years ago. Even as a MD, I had never seen and faced the realities of this illness till I had to live it and as good as STILL ALICE is nothing compares till you have to live thru it.

If you are looking for a heart wrenching story that helps you realize how the disease works - I highly recommend this a book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment