Friday, June 11, 2010

History, no better make that Physics

Having been serious in most of these posts, I thought that once again I would share some of the funnier aspects of my life here in rural Tennessee. I love where I love and love the people that I share my life wife, but even here in the 2010 there is a big difference in the mind sets of people.

I grew up as a third generation college student and knew since I was three that I was going to be a Doctor cause as I told my Mom and her nursing friends the Doctors give the orders and you take them, but I married my college love a first generation college student right after graduation. My parents got divorced after we married and his are still together. My parents were not into going to church, his family never misses. When my grandfather died in 1986, he stayed at the funeral home. When my husband's grandmother died in 1986, the family stayed with her at the funeral home.

So given these background differences you might imagine that there can be some tension, but we balance each other very well. So, I'll tell you how he and I decided to date... there is a story here - I promise.

We were in Physics 121 at Tennessee Tech together in the Spring of 1996, he was very cute in Wranglers and a cowboy hat and I knew he would never notice me, but I kept hearing his friends call him Fred... and I just could not, would not date a Fred. So, time passed, he stared at me. I stared at him, but nothing much else happened. Then we had our first quiz and Glory be the professor was old fashioned and called out names to pick up the quiz, and the tall drink of water that looked so cute in those jeans was not "Fred" but "Brian" and believe me I could date a Brian. Now, how to get ask out... I heard the group of Ag guys talking about their grades and I had gone to high school with one, so I offered to help them by tutoring to get to know Brian better, and the first night I wen to help him - I lost my keys. (I really had them in my bag but it sounded like a great way to get him outside and away from his friends...) But wouldn't you know, he actually brought a mag light outside and helped me look for the D&%^ keys till I had to give up and "find" them or he was going to drive me home. We kept on talking as a quasi group, and then one of the other guys mentioned that dancing was prohibited in the Bible. Well, here I went. I got home that night, pulled out the good book and went to looking up dancing scripture references for him. (I did not know at the time that both this guy and Brian liked me and Brian was trying to let him see where he got with me first) The next day in a college physics class, I walk in with the Bible in tow, and a list of scriptures regarding dancing - the other guy decided he did not like me so much and Brian and I have been together almost ever day since.

We may fight - but he keeps me sane when I really don't feel that way for anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment