Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Had a half in half day...


Once upon a time in America, people got up and went to work and most everyone worked a fair day for a fair days pay. Oh how far we have come. Now people are more concerned with animal abuse and neglect thanks to the Human Society of the United States then we are with child abuse. I have never seen stories on Channel 4 news talking about all the cases of children in this state being abused and miss treated every day but let there be one bill in the State Ag committee that HSUS disagrees with the wording on and here goes Channel 4 news.
We as agriculturist want to protect our livestock, but I don't want someone deciding that just because I don't feed my cows grain twice a day or my horses alfa-alfa hay instead of grass hay does not mean I am committing a felony. I have turned in 4 different parents for major instances of child abuse since the beginning of the year. Of those, only 1 set of those children have been removed from the home. But let animals be involved and people were online last night volunteering to be the animal police and "get the people hurting the defenceless animals".
Have we as a society lost our minds. I grew up as a Veterinarian's child and grandchild and maybe this has tainted my opinion but sometimes what we do to keep people and our pets alive is more cruel then when my grandfather used to go ahead and euthanize animals that were in extreme pain and untreatable. When did animal become more valuable than people.
As a farmer, I do value my stock. they are expensive animals and if they are hurt or injured we have to get them seen about quickly. They have access to fresh water 24hrs a day 365 days a year. They are fenced out of ponds for their and the environments protection. But, when we get legislation to provide good common sense rules to provide education for animal agriculturist, I hope it can be structured along the lines of Ohio's proactive stance towards animal agriculture. Because unlike the HSUS, I like my beef farm and want my children to be able to be farmers into the next generation.
No other group does as much for the American Economy with so few of people putting into the mix Less than 2% of Americans claim to be American Farmers but we provide...
"The United States exports $43.5 billion in agriculture products and important $26.4 billion in farm products, equaling a positive net trade balance of $17.1 billion." According to www.agday.org
I am proud to be an American Farmer and proud to have friends that are American Farmers... I hope that by our efforts my children will still have a farm to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment