Friday, March 12, 2010

A very long day...

There once was a movie "The Longest Day", well today was a longest day. We each started with regular chores. Brian and I got the kids up and ready for school. Hair brushed, arguments over hair bows and baseball caps finally finished and the day starts. He takes the girls to school, I am off to make rounds and to the office for a little bit, and Mom takes Cordell to daycare. Then, Brian is off to breed a cow and feed the bulls. Check his hay protein report and a few other minor details. I have to be done with the office and we both have to be done to be at the funeral home by 12.
Oh, this is not as simple as is sounds in black and white. I barely made it and forgot to eat. And once there Brian's family and I started a very long day of thank yous and glad you could come. And I really do meant that, I was glad that each and every one of those people from young to old took time out of their lives on a Friday night to stop and pay respects to our loss. It humbled me, and tired me.
There are no great words of wisdom in a time like this. It is appointed to all of us that we each will died. I think Cordell met his time well and his family is handling his loss with grace and dignity. I have seen no fighting and no bickering. It has been a joy to share my life with this family for the last 14 years. I have learned a little more about myself by knowing them all.
Cordell was a great med and led by example. I am proud to have named my son after him and my Grandfather Wynn Easterly and hope that I have the strength to bear up for another long day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment