Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Better than I was and More than I am...

I have had a few days to think about what I wanted to write in this blog next, but I was listening to a Tim Mcgraw song that played at my wedding and I just knew what I had to write about. See, I am more than I was before I met Brian and I want to try to explain that.

I was blessed to be able to represent my county at this years Young Farmers and Ranchers State Convention in Franklin, TN, at the Outstanding Young Women's Competition. And I was even more blessed to do pretty well. I won for District 4 in our state and was up against some really outstanding awesome young women, but I would have never been there if not for my husband. The ladies that interviewed me really got me thinking about writing this on my blog too... it was on of my questions - what do I think that I have gotten the most out of YF&R? (or something close to that - I was a little nervous...) My answer is easy - my relationships with the great people that I have met and my love of all forms of American Agriculture.

When I met Brian, I was a senior in college bound for medical school. Yes, I had grown up on a farm and a daughter and granddaughter of vets, but agriculture never got a passing though in my head. And even worse, I tended to be a "organic food snob". Then came Physics class and a tall drink of water that was nicknamed "Fred" and I just knew I could not date a Fred but I found out from the professor that his name was Brian and I could date a Brian. Time passes, and we dated. He suffered through speeches about how I did not need a man, about how I was to be independent, and other such dribble drabble... And still he kept hanging on. One year and three months latter, we got married. And have been married going on 14 years and three kids worth.

But getting back to why I am passionate about agriculture and why I feel it is a blessing in my life... We had made it through medical school, with Brian working a full time job, and often driving home 2 hrs to bale hay or work cattle. Then through 3 years of residency, Brian still with a full time job and still with managing the farm - I did at least have the common decency to pick a medical school and residency close to the family farm, and then we moved home. Finally after much prodding, I went with Brian to a Young Farmers and Ranchers Fall Tour here in TN. It was the best decision that I have ever made about a trip. I met the nicest people, and made friends and even got elected to the state committee. Brian and I became active at the county, district and state level in farm bureau and YF&R. The more that I have learned about agriculture the more I have learned that this is a group of people and a cause and a way of life that I want to help fight to preserve. These people care not only about our farms, but our land, and our food.

I know it sounds trite but if you eat thank a farmer and I thank God every night that he gave me mine. Because without Brian I would never have become the person that I am. I have been blessed to be better than I was and more than I am every day that I get to spend in his world. And it is a nice break from mine. Don't get me wrong - I love medicine - always have and always will... but there is a certain grace and beauty in the American Farmer's Love of his land and his animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment